Distribution of Drugs
A drug distribution conviction is no laughing matter. Depending on the specifics of the crime, an individual can face up to 10-20 years in a New Jersey state prison, up to $35,000 in fines and a suspended driver's license for up to two years.
There is hope. Working with an experienced defense attorney can greatly affect the outcome of a case. Attorney Joseph D. Rotella has 33 years of experience defending the rights and best interests of those charged with drug trafficking.
To discuss your case in a free consultation, contact the Newark law offices of Joseph D. Rotella at 973-621-0333.What Are the Penalties?
In New Jersey, the penalties for a drug distribution / drug trafficking conviction depend largely upon the quantity and type of drug involved.
- A third-degree crime results in 3 to 5 years in prison
- A second-degree drug crime results in 5 to 10 years in prison
- A first-degree drug crime results in 10 to 20 years in prison
Marijuana, crack, cocaine, methamphetamines, prescriptions drugs — you could be facing very severe penalties.Increased Jail Time
In addition to the penalties assigned to a drug trafficking conviction — jail or prison time, large fines, a suspended license — there are three charges that can significantly increase a person's jail or prison time:
- Possession with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of a school zone- This assigns mandatory parole ineligibility and a mandatory sentence of three years in jail.
- Possession with intent to distribute within 500 feet of a public library, public housing or park- This assigns a mandatory sentence of five to ten years in jail.
- Possession of a hand gun with any drug offense- Requires the gun possession charge to be tried in conjunction with the drug case and can result in 10-20 years in prison.
If you believe you will be charged with drug trafficking or manufacturing, do not wait to obtain aggressive, experienced defense. The sooner you contact a defense attorney — ideally prior to indictment — the better your chances of obtaining a favorable outcome in your case.Contact a Newark Defense Lawyer
If you are facing charges of drug trafficking/distribution or operating a grow house, contact Joseph Rotella's Newark office immediately.